Home Energy Assistance
Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Formerly Fuel Assistance
LEO provides heating assistance to income-eligible households in Lynn, Lynnfield, Nahant, Saugus, Swampscott, and Wakefield, regardless of heating source (gas, oil, electric, heat-included rentals).
New applicant? Returning applicant?
Submit your application online here, visit us during our drop-in hours, or call 781.581.7220 to get started.
Drop-in Hours (evening appointments available upon request):
181 Union Street, Suite #209J (2nd floor) Lynn, MA 01901
Monday: 8:30am – 11:30am
Tuesday: 1:00pm – 3:45pm
Thursday: 8:30am – 11:30am & 1:00pm – 3:45pm
LIHEAP Helps with Heat Costs
The Massachusetts home energy assistance program (LIHEAP) is a free resource, offered by LEO in partnership with the Department of Housing and Community Development, to help eligible households pay a portion of winter heating bills. You have reached the right place to apply and get the process started! No matter what type of heating source you have, LIHEAP may be able to help you pay your winter heating bills. All Massachusetts residents are encouraged to explore eligibility for this free program and apply for assistance.
How to Apply
You can begin the application process here or visit us during walk-in hours listed above to apply in person. If you need help completing the application, we are happy to assist. As part of the application process, please be prepared to share necessary information, including but not limited to photo identification, a list of all household members, proof of income, information on your heating bills, and your housing situation.
Eligible Applicant Information
Eligibility for home energy assistance is based on several factors, including but not limited to household size and combined gross annual income of household members. Household income cannot exceed 60% of Massachusetts’ estimated State Median Income (for example in 2023, $55,461 for a family of two and $81,561 for a family of four). To learn if you are eligible, apply here.
LIHEAP Facts and Resources
- The LIHEAP application is FREE! No fee is required to apply and we offer free help to complete applications.
- Beware of scams charging an “application fee” to help submit an application.
- Even if heat is included in the cost of rent, you may still be eligible for home energy assistance.
- LIHEAP provides assistance for all sources of heat, including oil, electricity, natural gas, propane, kerosene, wood and coal.
- Upon approval, payments are made directly to your heating company.
- You can also check income eligibility and benefit levels. Please note that benefit levels are dependent on funding allocated to Massachusetts by the US Department of Health and Human Services. Housing subsidies will also determine specific benefit levels.
If you participate in Home Energy Assistance, you likely qualify for the Energy Efficiency (Weatherization) program.
Action Inc., can save you money by making your home more energy efficient, therefore lowering your overall energy expenses. Let them visit your home and provide you with a free assessment. Weatherization can mean new insulation, weather-stripping, heating system repairs and replacements, refrigerator and lighting replacements. Their program is available year-round. Make a call today!
Action Inc. website for more information: https://actionincenergy.org/